Local2Global Advocates for Food Sovereignty

Monday, September 26, 2011

Dr. Wangari Maathai dies, first environmentalist to win the Nobel, first black African woman

This morning I learned that a deep inspiration to me and the world had died, Dr. Wangari Maathai. I had the great pleasure of meeeting her and was deeply moved, but was working very hard to meet her again and have a longer chat with her, and tell her how sorry I was for all the suffereing she endured to advance society. I had once brought her some medicine (natural) for her knees which had been injured while she was in prison.

While this is a great loss for humanity; in my little life, it is yet another wakeup call for me to go for what one really wants before it is too late--whatever that be, including getting to talk with Dr. Maathai.

Too soon. She has left us too soon.

In Solidarity and with deep sadness but hope for the future--because of her. The deepest condolences to her family, friends, and countrypeople.

No comments:

Post a Comment